Have you made UAN activation for your EPF account number? If you haven’t done with it, just follow the simple steps provided herein below and complete your UAN registration process. A Universal Account Number (UAN) will be generated for each member who contributes for EPF India. UAN activation helps you know about your PF status. Through this number, you can easily access the UAN member login portal till you work for an organisation and provide your EPF contribution regularly. This is all made possible only if you spend the certain percentage of your salary for the EPFO (Employee Provident Fund Organisation). Both the employer and employee donate the certain percentage (12.5%) of the employee’s salary to the EPF India which generates a fruitful result for the employee at the time of retirement. Further more details regarding how to generate UAN number and many more aspects were explained below clearly.
Benefits of UAN Activation:
Once you have a UAN login details with you, then a lot of actions can be performed without using your PF number. Especially, if you have multiple PF account numbers, this facility would be beneficial. Following are the major advantages of UAN login activation:
- Download EPF passbook online by just providing your UAN number.
- You may view and download your passbook as many times as you want.
- You can track EPF claim status for withdrawal.
- Checking PF balance using SMS and missed call service.
- Update and change your KYC information on the EPFO portal.
- If you have not yet received UAN, you can track the status of the same.
What is A UAN?
As said earlier The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO portal) has introduced the Universal Account Number (UAN) for its members. The number allows portability of EPF accounts from one employer to another without depending on any employer for withdrawal of EPF balance. This number allows any member to view all his/her EPF accounts with current and former employers. With the UAN activation number, any member can initiate the process of closing old accounts and transferring balances. The number, which has to be allotted by an employer, needs to be activated. This can be done either by the employer or by the employee. Usually, in most of the cases employer is required to provide the UAN passbook to the employee by generating UAN.
How to generate UAN number:
Firstly it is important to know that in the process of UAN registration, your employer is also supposed to perform certain tasks which are listed out below.
- UAN Employer Portal – ECR (Electronic Challan cum Return)
Due to a new launch in the software, some changes have been made in the process of filling the EPF challan. Previously employers used to file ECR by mentioning details of the employee like name and contribution. And later on applied for UAN activation. Now Employers will need first to get the UAN of the employee and only then they will be able to file ECR. With new changes concept of the member, id has been removed, and UAN has become the main key in the ECR. That is, with this change the money will be credited against the UAN number. New fields have been inserted like gross wages of the employee etc. which are to be submitted along with basic salary. On the Unified UAN member login portal, the employer will have following options after login on the site:
ECR Upload (allows uploading both the regular monthly return and the arrear ECR file.)
- Direct Challan Entry.
- View Challans.
- Upload ECR.
- Prepare Challan.
- Finalise Challan.
- Member UAN Registration (UAN Generation or linking): This task is complete to be performed by Employee. On the employer portal, the employer can register the employee and generate UAN. There are two ways – Individual and Bulk; the other one is Individual UAN Registration. Click on UAN member login portal followed by Individual UAN Registration, and it will show the user registration form. The following information is to be filled in by the employer.
- Previous Employment – yes or not.
- Date of Birth.
- Father / Husband Name and Relation.
- Marital Status.
- Mobile number.
- Date of Joining.
- Monthly wage on Joining.
- Details of KYC Documents – PAN, Aadhar, etc.
- Also entering all the required details, you can get your UAN on to your registered mobile number.
How to check UAN status:
- First, go to the official website of EPF India.
- Click on UAN Member Portal, and you will be redirected to a new page.
3.Fill in your state and office area for the EPF.
4.Then enter your EPF number, which is bifurcated into Region/ Office/ Establishment Code/ Ext/ PF Number. Your PF number may look something like KN/BN/364734/000/35772.AP denotes Andhra Pradesh; KN denotes Karnataka; the PF Office; 364734 denotes the Establishment Code, 000 denotes the Extension, and the last number 35772 indicates your EPF Number. If your PF no. does not have the Extension number, you can leave it blank.
5.Click the Check Status button. If you get a message that your UAN is activated, then it means that the EPFO has allotted you a UAN and has already activated it. If it shows that UAN is not allotted, then generate one.
6.Enter the details and check your UAN card which is also termed to be UAN passbook.
Is it necessary to check UAN status?
UAN stands for Universal Account Number. It is a 12 digit number. The UAN status remains the same even if the employee changes his various categories of jobs. UAN number activation is allotted to each Employee Provident Fund member by the Employee Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) through which he/she gets control of his EPF account and minimises the role of employer. Hence it is important to know the UAN status to know the EPF balance.